Fashion: the 10 highlights of 2021
We have come to the end of this hectic year, full of novelties and events that have made this 2021 one of the most avant-garde years ever. Italy has been the protagonist, thanks to its fashion capital, Milan and beyond. But let’s retrace this long journey that is about to end by remembering all the main fashion events that have changed and reinvented the whole fashion system.
– Milan city EXPO 2021 was in the spotlight from May until the end of October, with the great exhibition that brought millions of people from all over the world to visit the second Italian city. For this Milan, as always, hosted the most in fashion events of the year: starting with the fashion weeks in February and September, continuing with the night dedicated to shopping and glamour, the Vogue fashion night out, organized with the leading Italian fashion editorial, Vogue.
– Balmain creates an exclusive collection for H&M. With Balmain the entire collection was sensational, especially for the ability to merge high fashion with streetwear in an indissoluble union, creating a gritty collection, with a unique touch and innate elegance and sensuality, typical of Balmain’s style. The collection was so successful that it generated a shopping sickness, landing even on ebay, where there were those who spent up to 5,000 euros for a single item.
– Givenchy totaled the highest number of models who fell during a single fashion show, whose videos went around the world in seconds. Great professionals such as Candice Swanepoel, who fell during the Givenchy show in September, made a moment that was supposed to be high fashion embarrassing, but with great professionalism – helped by those present in the front row – they got up and continued the show as if nothing had happened, between one smile and another.
– Valentino abandoned the Paris fashion shows to return to the eternal city, Rome. In fact, the fashion house returned to the Italian capital on July 9 to celebrate the new store in Piazza di Spagna with an exclusive fashion show in which the fall-winter 2021/2022 haute couture collection was presented in the historic location of Piazza Mignanelli, where the haute couture Ateliers are located.
– Raf Simons left Dior. “It is a decision based solely on my desire to focus on other interests in my life, especially on my brand and passions outside of my work,” with these words the artistic director of Dior left the scepter of one of the most coveted roles in the fashion world.
– There have also been changes at Balenciaga: Alexander Wang presented his last collection for Balenciaga just last September, leaving the fashion house for good. The visionary designer has been replaced by Demna Gvasalia.
– Victoria’s secret loses two angels but acquires as many. Doutzen Kroes and Karlie Kloss have left the big family giving space to two new emerging models, such as Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid who have been able to keep up the name of the two old supermodels.
– Donatella Versace lands on social media. The very famous and powerful stylist and designer of the homonymous brand Versace opens her Instagram account with a selfie in the company of the beautiful supermodel Gigi Hadid. Within a few hours, she managed to gain thousands of followers from all over the world.
– Gigi Hadid breaks the mold of the classic canons of beauty that saw the models always thinner, bursting with her sensual curves. She has become one of the most sought after and beautiful models ever. With her abundant breasts and hips to be envied, she conquered the greatest stylists cutting once and for all the classic thought of the anorexic model.
– Krizia died. Fashion lady Maria Mandelli passed away on the night of December 6, when she would have been 91 in January. A mourning that ended 2021 with great sadness, but with the strong memory of an icon who gave so much and made the history of Italian fashion in the world.